Ram Charan on Combating Bureaucracy
n a nutshell Ram Charan
, a respected strategy consultant, recommends five things to do to get around bureaucratic barriers in your organization:
- To identify roadblocks, ask, "What do we need to do to allow us to move faster?"
- [my personal favorite] Streamline keep management layers to five or fewer.
- Identify indecisive managers, and work with them to try to fix the problem. If they cannot move faster, let them go.
- Make sure everyone has ready access to information they need for their decision-making, as opposed to letting managers get away with hoarding information.
- Celebrate, reward monetarily, and promote people in your organization who get around bureaucratic barriers and achieve results expeditiously.
Charan has been urging these ideas at least since he published Execution
Labels: Coaching, Decision-making, Employee performance management, Management practices, Organizational culture, Rewards and recognition