!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Streamline Training & Documentation: Sunday at the New York State Theater

Monday, June 18, 2007

Sunday at the New York State Theater

After brunch with my Iowa friend and a mutual friend who lives near the Lincoln Center, I took my leave so I could head over to the New York State Theater to see the matinee performance of the New York City Ballet.

Christopher Wheeldon

The main attraction on the program was Christopher Wheeldon's new piece, "The Nightingale and the Rose," set to a commissioned score by Bright Sheng. I enjoyed the way in which Wheeldon realized the story (explained in an insert into the playbill), which is just what Tobi Tobias objects to in her Bloomberg review. My reaction was closer to that of Jennifer Dunning in her favorable review in the New York Times.

The other two pieces on the program were Peter Martins' "Jeu de Cartes" (music by Stravinsky), which I enjoyed more than most of Martins' choreography, and "Robert Schumann's 'Davidsbündlertânze'," a beautiful piece of Balanchine choreography in which Kyra Nichols, a beautiful ballerina retiring after the current season, was performing with her customary mastery.

###

Labels: