Teamwork Do's and Don'tsFirst the do's:
To reinforce teamwork and defuse conflict, do:
- Reserve judgment until you're sure you understand the situation under discussion.
- Acknowledge one another's contributions.
- Deal fairly with problems.
- Display openness to others' ideas and suggestions.
- Do make sure everyone has basic collaboration skills, including how to ask open-ended questions, how to practice active listening, and how to get along with others in conflict situations.
- Do create a norm for civility and respect by discussing good behavior, and seeking and rewarding good examples of it.
Now for teamwork don'ts.
To avoid unnecessary conflict, don't:
- Be aggressive.
- Attack others' ideas and opinions.
- Fail to let others express opinions (with rationales).
- Avoid group interactions (e.g., in hopes of avoiding conflict).
- Dominate the group.
- A long-term vision.
- Sufficient commitment of time and money to accomplish the mission.
- Adequate planning.
- Adequate coaching and training.