!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Streamline Training & Documentation: Assess Your Listening Skills

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Assess Your Listening Skills

If you haven't thought recently about how well you listen, you can use the tool below to decide whether improving your behavior in this area is something you need to concentrate on.

Use a scale of 5 (always) to 1 (seldom) to give your honest assessment of how consistently you practice the following listening behaviors:

  1. I give the other person ample opportunity to speak.


  2. I encourage the other person to keep talking by making eye contact, rephrasing, requesting clarification, etc., while avoiding premature questions, advice, assurance, and agreement.


  3. I demonstrate that I understand by playing back what the other person has said.


  4. I make sure the other person is receptive to my messages before I attempt to deliver them.


  5. I am non-judgmental, both in what I say and in my tone of voice.


  6. I defuse objections by not being defensive. Instead, I encourage the other person to tell me more about their concerns and issues.
###

Labels: