Dmitry Fadeyev on Common Usability MistakesBack in September 2006, an interesting English-language e-zine was founded in Lübeck, Germany. Smashing Magazine is addressed to designers and Web developers.
One of the frequent Smashing Magazine authors is Dmitry Fadeyev, a Web designer based in England. On February 18, an illuminating article by Fadeyev called "9 Common Usability Mistakes in Web Design was posted.
The mistakes Fadeyev describes are:
- Tiny clickable areas on a Web page.
- Pagination used for the wrong purpose, i.e., for the purpose of increasing page views in order to increase ad revenue.
- Duplicate page titles instead of a unique title for each page.
- Content that is difficult to scan visually.
- No way to get in touch with the website's owner (i.e., the company, organization, or individual that publishes the website).
- No way to search.
- Too much functionality that requires registration before you can use it.
- Permalinks that, in fact, are dead.
- Long registration forms.