Open Yale Courses"We hope these courses will be a resource for critical thinking, creative imagination, and intellectual exploration."
Yale University has joined the open courseware movement with an initial batch of seven liberal arts courses that are presented via downloadable videos of the professors' lectures, along with ancillary material, such as syllabi, class schedules, searchable transcripts of the lectures, mp3 audio versions of the lectures, problem sets, and course evaluations.
The seven Open Yale courses are:
- Astronomy: Frontiers and Controversies in Astrophysics, Prof. Charles Bailyn
- English: Modern Poetry, Prof. Langdon Hammer
- Philosophy: Death, Prof. Shelly Kagan
- Physics: Fundamentals of Physics, Prof. Ramamurti Shankar
- Political Science: Introduction to Political Philosophy, Prof. Steven B. Smith
- Psychology: Introduction to Psychology, Prof. Paul Bloom
- Religious Studies: Introduction to the Old Testament, Prof. Christine Hayes
You can read an informative write-up about Yale's initiative in the December 12 issue of Inside Higher Ed.
Labels: Learning resources