!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Streamline Training & Documentation: The Symptoms of Employee Engagement

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Symptoms of Employee Engagement

According to research conducted by The Gallup Organization, the 12 employee expectations listed below form the foundation of strong feelings of engagement at work. Engaged employees are loyal and productive, and — as Gallup's data confirmed — they make above-average contributions to their companies' profitability and customer satisfaction.

Which of these items are true for your organization? Or, what's your best guess as to how employees at your organization would respond to the list?
  • I know what is expected of me.

  • I have the resources I need to do my work right.

  • Every day I have the opportunity to do what I do best.

  • I receive recognition for doing good work every week.

  • My supervisor seems to care about me as a person.

  • There is at least one person at work who encourages my development.

  • My opinions seem to count.

  • My company's mission makes me feel my job is important.

  • My fellow employees are committed to doing high-quality work.

  • I have a best friend at work.1

  • Within the past 6 months, someone has talked to me about my progress.

  • Within the past year, I have had opportunities to learn and grow.
For ideas on how to stimulate employee engagement, I highly recommend "What Creates Energy in Organizations?" by Rob Cross, Wayne Baker and Andrew Parker, published in the Summer 2003 issue of the Sloan Management Review.

__________
1 As explained here, "Gallup discovered ... that the strongest agreement with this item occurred in the most productive workgroups. Because some employees had difficulty with the item, Gallup went back to those groups and softened the word 'best' to 'close' or 'good,' or excluded the word 'best' entirely. When this was done, however, the item lost its power to differentiate highly productive work groups from mediocre work groups. This suggested that the question’s use of the word 'best' actually pinpoints a dynamic of great work groups."

###

Labels: