!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Streamline Training & Documentation: Self-Assessment of Coaching Skill

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Self-Assessment of Coaching Skill

Anyone who fills a coaching role, whether formal or informal, should periodically do a self-assessment. The following questions can help you identify any aspects of your coaching that need improvement:
  • Do I monitor day-to-day performance so I can address concrete events and behavior?


  • Do I obtain feedback from customers concerning my employees' performance?


  • Do I plan my coaching conversations?


  • Do I create a non-threatening climate?


  • Do I treat each person as an individual, taking into account his/her behavioral style and motivational profile?


  • Do I maintain an attitude of respect?


  • Do I listen actively when an employee is talking with me?


  • Do I describe expected performance in clear, specific terms?


  • Do I recognize good performance and discuss how to build on it?


  • Do I both invite and offer suggestions for improving performance? Do I encourage people to be their own problem-solvers?


  • Do I admit my own mistakes and make it clear that honest mistakes are learning experiences, not black marks?


  • Do I keep employees informed about our organization's goals, strategies, tactics, challenges, and progress?


  • Do I represent my group effectively in interactions with other groups in the organization?
Every year or so, consider doing a 360° evaluation of your coaching and other management skills. I.e., in addition to assessing yourself, seek feedback on your performance from your own boss, from trusted peers, and from the employees who report to you.

###

Labels: